Friday, June 18, 2010

What do I want to do when I grow up?

when_i_grow_up - when i grow up i want to be just like mummyWhen I graduated secondary school, I was a pivotal point in my life. 

“What do I want to do when I grow up?”

I had absolutely no clue. I didn’t have any strong role models or mentors at the time.  So, I decided, well, let’s work in an office, that seems easy.  I did really well in the business 101 course and computer programming course.  Let’s go into business school.

What I should have considered before making that decision:

  • happiest when working with my hands
  • loved to draw
  • loved to fold origami
  • loved quirky and unique things

I was stuck in a paradigm and a lack of confidence to believe that I could be successful working with my hands.  I thought I had to be the serious working professional in order to be happy and successful.  I believed people when they told me my creative ideas wouldn’t sell. 

I don’t regret it. I’m proud of my career and that job helped me achieve so many personal goals in my life. I learnt my lesson and not to let others discourage me.  Money doesn’t equal success.  I enjoy what I do now, but I want to love what I do.  So here I am, a successful working mother of two, wondering:

“What I want to do when I grow up?”

When I grow up I want three things:

  1. I want more quality time with my children.  
  2. I want to spend my days being creative.
  3. I want to make money doing what I love. 

If I get all three of these wants, then I will be happier (I’m already happy, I just want to be more happy).  So I made a decision a few weeks ago.  I’m going to to make this dream happen.  It’ll be a uphill battle and will take dedication and time but I believe it will happen.

This may take a long time since I have little spare time outside my work and family so I need to keep my focus.  As motivation, I already secured the domain name, a facebook fanpage and this blog.  As you can see, I have a lot of design work to get these set up, PLUS develop a real business plan.  However, my husband knows my dream and he’s very supportive.

In other words, I bet you read the picture and comment before you read my blog post didn’t you?  hahaha, I thought it was funny.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! I want EXACTLY the same things you want. It's funny b/c i, too, went to business school thinking that thats what i want to do. WRONGGGGGGG! i now find that a part of me is slowly dying, ever hour that i'm stuck in an office! ACHK!!!! but that's what goals are for and i'm determined to reach them! :D

    ReplyDelete